Wednesday 2 January 2008

Christmas


Christmas started on Christmas Eve after getting back from The Holiday and involved large amounts of cheery music, pudding boiling, turkey roasting and me swearing a lot as I attempted to complete both girls Christmas dresses in time. (The pattern for the Elfling's dress was plain stupid and obviously for very short very fat 4 year olds).

They were all completed though with the Monkey eating her bodyweight in turkey (her new favourite food - she even says "nom nom nom" as she's eating), the Elfling almost wetting herself with excitement over Santa, me hand sewing hooks and eyes on dresses (that didn't work and I was too tired to cut all the hreads properly so they looked a bit unfinished on Christmas Day - oops) while listening to the Carols and eating pudding with custard and LH helping to set up bright red sacks in front of stockings full to bursting.

Christmas morning was the excited orgy of paper tearing and present joy that I'd hoped and envisioned with the girls being thoroughly spoiled (and me too!).

The girls hoard from us and Santa included
Monkey
- Little Baby Born Boy doll
- Thomas figure 8 set
- Bucket of duplo
- Butterfly and Fish puzzles
- Madeleine DVD
- Playschool CD
- PJs
- socks
- blue angel windchime
- Schleich baby jungle animals
- crayons
- We're Going on a Bear Hunt book
- You're all my Favourites book
- Fairy Christmas Ornament

Elfling
- Little Baby Born Girl doll
- Doctors Kit
- Schleich jungle animals
- Doll Crib
- socks
- undies
- hair ties
- Alphabet puzzle
- crayons
- Angelina Ballerina books, DVD and CD
- 3 Dr Seuss Books
- Fairy Christmas Ornament
- crayons

And possibly other stuff that I've forgotten. They had a decent stash though and came well under my $150 budget for each so I'm happy. The house is still littered with bits and pieces so I certainly feel like they got enough "stuff" (and that's not even including the bounty from friends, relatives, grandparents et al).

I was completely spoiled and in the next year shall be
- going to the Opera 3 times
- going to see Phantom of the Opera
- going to see the Foo Fighters
- wearing a stunning red silk David Lawrence Dress with equally gorgeous underwear
- before coming home to wear my new Peter Alexander PJs with PA undies

The LH scored some large lego sets that are already set up and being enjoyed, underwear and clothes as well as accompanying me to all of the above.

Christmas Brunch and lunch was at SILs place with more festive paper tearing and fun before heading up to my parents place for dinner with silly paper hats and faux wine and Christmas lights galore. The girls were completely cactus by 7pm though so we had to leave early and were home by 9pm.

It was a fun, bright and beautiful day that the girls thoroughly enjoyed and that I loved as well, but felt, on the way home as we drove into the moonrise that as an adult as joyful and magic as it may be, that you become a bit of a spectator of the children's gaiety. I would not change it for the world though, seeing my girls so filled to the brim with cheer, their heads nodding along in the back seat as I sit next to the love of my life is just so much that it feels like my heart might burst.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...